Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tomorrow May Never Come


I got a call the other day from an old high school friend who said a mutual friend of our had died. Even though I hadn't talked to him in over 20 years it still hit me hard. In high school Marty & I were very good friends. Marty was voted best looking in our class and had everything going for him. He turned to a life of drugs after school and continued to spiral downward until his life ended with a heart attack. At the time of his death he was living in a tent behind the Dairy Queen we all used to frequent so often. I think a few of the reasons this hits me so hard is the "friend" who called to inform me of Marty's death used to be my best friend, and now he is divorced, and listening to his words, has shut God out of his life and it's all about him. Also, I don't know for certain, (only God knows for sure) but would be surprised to know that Marty was a Christian. That being said, when we die here on earth, that's it. It's final! The final part I'm talking about is that we don't have another chance to make our decision to follow Christ. We don't get to say "wow, that bright light over there is real, and I'll take door number one!" That's it, final!


We sure talk alot about being doers and not talkers, but my prayer is that we reach out to our friends who are not Christ followers. We can't convince them to follow Christ, only He can do that, but at least we are doing what He asks us to do. It breaks my heart to think that Satan probably got one of my friends. It also pisses me off. I wish, now in hindsight, that I would have reached out to Marty a long time ago. This serves as a belated wake up call to action in the army of our Lord Jesus Christ. I think one of Satan's greatest victories is the complacency he indwells in us Christians. Satan is the great deceiver, beware. Don't' let complacency run your life. Jesus tells us in Revelation "I am coming quickly." Our time is short here, lets make the most of it.

Acts 5:42
And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.

1 comment:

Kara said...

Preach it!! A tragic reminder of our short life and what we should be doing with it ... spreading God's name!!