Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Where is the Holy Spirit?


Why don't we see the Holy Spirit moving in our churches like the churches in Acts?  He came as a rush of wind, powerful and mighty.  Unseen, yet His force was like no other.  Acts 2:2  Is His work done?  Are there enough churches and mega churches that He feels He isn't needed anymore?   Could it be that WE feel we don't need Him?  Or that we don't believe those miracles exist today, and were only for the Bible?  Could be.  Probably more truth in that than we are ready to admit.  Our society is a me society and we think we got it handled, and can figure it out ourselves.  Holy Spirit?  That guy only did His miracles in the "old" days!   

The Holy Spirit is still as alive and powerful today as ever.  We just don't tap into Him.  What's that you say?  We do?  Not really.  I think if we did, we would see amazing results.  We have things today so structured, that we try to "fit" God in when our schedules allow.  Usually it's the scraps, or the filler time that He gets.  The deity of Christ has unlimited potential, and we are satisfied with just the basics, and wonder why we don't see more miracles in today's day and age.  It's the lack of faith, the lack of obedience, and the lack of priority.  The God of today is the same as the God of yesterday, we are the ones who have changed.   I think it's still possible to see a modern day Pentecost, but we as Christ followers need to believe in the power of the Holy Spirit first.  We need to have the same faith as Peter or Paul, and preach like Peter and Paul.  They weren't afraid of being persecuted!  In fact Peter relished it when he was let out of prison.   Acts 5:41

I think it's possible if we start to preach the truth.  And believe.

1 comment:

Epic said...

Hey Steve! I’ve spent many years feeling terribly guilty about this. Perhaps my guilt is somewhat misplaced. I think you’re right when you said we feel little need for God because we’re so well off. I bet it is something we struggle with due to our wealth in the U.S.A.

But, I think my own guilt was misplaced when I observed the lack of what we call “the-move-of-the-Spirit” as displayed in the Bible. I think it is hard to make a good evaluation of spiritual health based on the wonders displayed in the Bible. I guess I don’t think it is what God’s after. When Jesus addresses the seven churches in Revelation He never cites a lack of the move of the Spirit as a problem. It is only their heart that He corrects. Or in other words, my job is to keep my heart humble before Jesus; what happens after that is totally up to Him. Consider this: if I successfully keep myself humble before God then live a life void of signs and amazing events would that be wrong?

I think I may have been looking for the wrong results of my faith. When people came to Jesus with illnesses and questions He dealt with the heart first, then performed miracles. Perhaps the signs and wonders I’ve sought for so many years are found in the fact of my heart being right with God. The examples I read in Acts may or may not be displayed again, but I think to tap into the Spirit is to find an individual peace with God. I think the individual who truly has peace with God is a sign in and of themselves, an example to the world of the miracle of salvation. The revivals, signs and wonders are merely a by-product, a foot note to Gods salvation offered to the individual; a footnote written by the sovereignty of God.

Or so the thought runs through my head… maybe I missed your point! Got me thinking anyway! :)